Cart 0

Himalayan Salt Lamps

Himalayan Salt Lamp

How do Himalayan Salt Lamps Work?
Water vapor is always circulating in the air of any room of your house. This water vapor carries with it allergens like dust, pollen, pet dander, smoke particles, and even bacteria and viruses.
Salt is a hygroscopic, meaning it attracts water molecules from the surrounding air. A large block of rock salt, like a Himalayan salt lamp, is especially attractive to water vapor and its pollutants.
Once attracted to the salt lamp, these microscopic compounds remain on the salt and not floating in the air where you can breathe them in.

As Himalayan salt lamps slowly become saturated with water vapor they attract from the air around them, the heat, from the lamp inside or beneath, dries them, thus continuing the hygroscopic effect for as long as the light is on.
This heat also re-releases water vapor back into the air. Importantly, any airborne contaminants attracted to the salt lamp remain trapped there and will not become airborne again.
Every few weeks it’s good to give your salt lamp a cleaning. To do this, make sure lamp is off and cool, then gently rub it with a damp cloth to clean away trapped particles. The rest of the time leave the lamp on and let it work to clean the air in your room.

The air is filled with negative and positive ions. To maintain a healthy atmosphere, these negative and positive ions must remain in balance. However, electronic devices and our home heating and cooling systems produce so many positive ions that our air is thrown off balance-resulting in stress, sleep disorders, migraine headaches and allergies. It is a natural ionizer and air purifier.